Monday, February 27, 2012

Oscars 2012

Film's biggest event was held last night in LA: The Oscars. The Oscars is one of my favourite awards shows to look forward to, because there are always amazing gowns on the red carpet. Neutral tones dominated this year, and bright colours were hard to come by. Here are some of the best looks from the Academy Awards:

Image: hollywoodreporter.com
E! host, Giuliana Rancic chose this beautiful Tony Ward Spring 2012 Couture gown for her walk on the red carpet. I love the colour, the fit of the dress, and the embellishment that runs throughout. My favourite part of this gown, is the shoulder detailing, it gives this dress a unique yet fun element.

Image: instyle.com
George Clooney's leading lady, Stacy Keibler, chose this hot-off-the-runway Marchesa gown for the big night. Marchesa just showed this dress in their Fall/Winter 2012 runway show a couple weeks ago at fashion week. I just can't get over the amazing rosette detailing at her hip, it's so wonderful.

Image: hollywoodreporter.com
Cameron Diaz wore this nude coloured Gucci gown that featured a mermaid flare. I liked the dress on Cameron, and absolutely love the bottom and the train. The asymmetrical cut gives this gown an interesting overall look.

Image: hollywoodreporter.com
The Help star, Octavia Spenser, looks amazing in her Tadashi Shoji gown. I like everything about this dress; the colour, the beading throughout, the train, the cinched waistline, and it's simplicity. 

Image: hollywoodreporter.com
Actress Milla Jovovich wore this gorgeous Elie Saab gown on the red carpet. I think this dress is stunning on Milla. It fits her perfectly, and the colour and beading are amazing. I also love the shoulder detail, which adds extra dimension to the her Oscars look. 


After praising the five ladies above, I have to share with you two of my biggest disappointments from Sunday's awards. Both these ladies have always been among my favourites to watch on the red carpet, and I was so excited to see what they would wear to the Oscars this year.

Image: hollywoodbackwash.com
Actress Emma Stone chose this fuchsia Giambattista Valli gown with a trapeze top and tie. I will say that the dress was flattering on Emma, I really love the colour on her, and the cinched waist is great. I thought, however, that the look was a little too mature for the 23 year old, and would have liked to see her in something more fun. 

Image: pinkvilla.com
Previous Best-Actress winner, Sandra Bullock chose this Marchesa gown for the red carpet. I do like the dress, I think it's classy, and love the detailing along her hips and shoulders. I think the dress is unflattering on Sandra, however. The bulky top, doesn't show her small waist, and the detailing along her hips makes her appear wider than she is. Love Sandra, love the dress, but don't love them together.


No comments:

Post a Comment